On Saturday morning, Edmund and I participated in a tour walk led by Ruth Moon of Eureka Discovery Walks. There were perhaps a dozen attendees, all interesting and personable people. They shared knowledge about the history of Eureka and various sites along the walk. We had a light lunch at Lost Coast Brewery — light because we didn’t want to ruin dinner! As a Christmas present, our friend Jen was sending us to the excellent Larrupin Cafe for their Inaugural Celebration bash.
At Larrupin, We had a really pleasant conversation with the owner Dixie Gorrell and the decorator, two wonderful ladies. We had a lovely dinner:
- Dungeness crab cakes with curry aioli
- Butter lettuce, ruby red grapefruit and avocado salad with grapefruit vinaigrette
- Thin slices of baguette with sweet cream butter
- One plate of herb-crusted filet mignon with green peppercorn sauce and wild mushrooms, and roasted garlic and horseradish mashed potatoes
- One plate of grilled Pacific halibut with cilantro cashew pesto and couscous quinoa pilaf (both main course served with braised Brussels sprouts with roasted cashews (we split both entrées)
- Rustic apple tart in phyllo dough with Calvados whipped cream
- Excellent coffee
- A glass of sparkling Cava for me
Thankfully, the portions are well calculated so that patrons don’t feel bloated at the end — at least, not patrons who had a Discovery Walk earlier in the day and ate soup and a green salad for lunch. 🙂
It was a lovely day and I’m grateful for it all.