So I borked the Deck of Fate probabilities last night in my Fate of Bayern post, at least in terms of assigning thaumic energy types and harmonics. The way I wrote it, you would have much higher chances of some types of harmonics than others.
My bad: I couldn’t remember where I had read the number of each combination of sun and moon symbols (it was in this post from Fred Hicks) and I was too intent on writing to actually count them myself. But today I did count them (it’s much easier using the PDF than the deck for this).
Based on this, I assigned the thaumic energy flavours so they would all have the same probability: one sun = Material, multiple suns = Elemental, one moon = Spiritual/Dimensional, and multiple moons = Emotional/Mental. In addition one moon and one sun are at the GM’s discretion based on the fiction, and an eclipse means a wild spell.
That also means I have to change the final part of the example in the earlier post (see after the table).
|No. Cards||Motif||Assigned Thaumic Type|
|6||One moon, two suns|
|6||Two moons, one sun||Emotional/Mental|
|6||One moon, one sun||GM’s choice|
So the earlier example would produce the following harmonics:
- Turn 1: O (Material)—properly aligned.
- Turn 2: C (Spiritual/Dimensional).
- Turn 3: O (Material)—properly aligned.
- Turn 4: CCO (Emotional/Mental).
- Turn 5: COO (Elemental).
- Turn 6: OOO (Elemental), then CCO (Emotional/Mental).
- Turn 7: O (Material)—properly aligned.
- Turn 8: C (Spiritual/Dimensional).
- Turn 9: O (Material)—properly aligned.
- Turn 10: C (Spiritual/Dimensional).
For a total of 4 cards properly aligned with Material energy, 3 aligned with Spiritual/Dimensional, 2 with Emotional/Mental, and 2 with Elemental. Coincidentally, I don’t actually have to change my description!