Over the Edge
18. What’s an RPG item you have played a lot in your life?
The game I got the most play from is probably 7th Sea (Alderac Entertainment Games), since that was a regular, reliable campaign that went on for at least four years. It’s the campaign I have most enjoyed playing in my life.
The game that I have been playing the longest and continue to play is Over The Edge (Atlas Games). I have been playing for 23 or 24 years and it’s still a go-to.
25. Favourite revolutionary game mechanic
- Free-form skills, as introduced by Over the Edge (Atlas Games). They changed the face of gaming for me, turning characters back into concepts, not the piles of numbers they had been reduced to by earlier RPGs.
- Character troubles and backgrounds as stories a player wants to pursue, not a source of of disadvantage points to min-max with. First encountered in 7th Sea (Alderac Entertainment Games).
- A range of success that includes No but…, Yes but…, and Yes and…, as first encountered in octaNe (Memento Mori Theatricks). In the long run, it made a huge difference in my game-mastering.